Sunday, April 11, 2010

tweet tweet.

Fact: Another Twitter controversy. This time involving @BDUTT and this Outlook article


This is ovbiously small news. But I do have views about this. I think I can write more about this than about Manmohan Singh's visit to the USA.

Opinion: So the article claims that Barkha's views or tweets are irresponsible and "silly".
Even if for a second we consider that Barkha's views were silly, my question is and always has been why thrust the responsibility to being responsible on anyone else? Isnt Barkha Dutt not entitiled of being silly and having a trivial opinion? Can't she even think wrong? Why is it that she must have an opinion which is right? I pride myself for having my thoughts and my opinions. It makes me the person I am. And I dont want to be told what to think and what not to.

What I really think about all these twitter controversies is that they are an attempt to make trivial issues a gimmick. Now many people in Inida who dont use much twitter associate twitter only to controversies. Shah Rukh Khan said that, or Tharoor said this has just become redundant and ridiculous. Its their personal opinion and everyone need not judge their opinion. And I think every once in a while everyone should make nice, silly, trivial statements. I mean seriously why cant famous people make silly remarks!

Anyway, all that assuming what Barkha said was silly, which I very much doubt was. Umair seems to advocate the need to know Naxalite views and so does Roy and some how believes that Dutt does not want that. What I think what Dutt does not want is making heroes out of Naxals. Reasoned or not, moral or not, the Naxals killed 76 jawans. The Naxals cannot be made heroes in this Story. The point is, and I agree with Umair and Roy, that there is a need to know the Naxal point of view, because this war is not about so much about bullets and land as it is about ideology.
No one can still claim to know what exactly the Naxals want. I dont mind more 32 page articles about Naxals, nor do I mind stories from their point of view. All I would not like to read stories in which 76 jawans die villans in a story in the Naxals are made out to be heroes. Mainly because the 76 jawans were innocent, its not like a story in which they raped and tortured the villagers and we dint know about it. In fact I have read enough articles claiming that villagers too are forced by the naxals to be on their side.

No comments:

Post a Comment